Saturday, March 30, 2013

City of Hope

I am so happy with CITY OF HOPE Cancer Center. The biopsy they gave me on Thursday looks better than the first one I had at Cedars TWO WEEKS ago! There is less bruising and a smaller incision! :)

They also explained to me that there are options for mastectomy that I am a good candidate for that would leave me with my skin and nipple and fill the void of my breast tissue with an implant. It's called skin-sparing mastectomy. I have to do it BEFORE radiation, otherwise the skin will be too damaged. But the latest implants, called gummy bears, are by far the most realistic yet. Might not be a bad thing to never have saggy boobs. 

Just difficult for me to make the decision as to whether I will have only my right (problem) breast done, or both. The insurance will pay for both to be done, since I am so young and my risk of having breast cancer again over the course of my lifetime is rather high. However I am set on having a family and breastfeeding is very important. Mainly, I want to be able to transfer my immunities to my future baby...and have the bonding hormones that breastfeeding releases. But, I also want to achieve the symmetry and protection that doing both breasts would give me. Perhaps I can do one now and one later...? Tough decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment