Monday, May 6, 2013

Egg Removal and Port Installation and Chemo...Oh My!

What a whirlwind! On Sunday I had my egg removal surgery at the fertility center. They basically went in with a large needle, through the vaginal walls and extracted the mature eggs from my ovaries.
Then today I had another surgery to have the port installed into my chest. Unfortunately for THIS surgery they would not put me to sleep and it was super traumatic. I had local anesthesia, so there wasn't any "pain", per se, but being awake while they are pushing and pulling on my chest and knowing that they are installing a device into me was really emotional.

Straight after that surgery I went to have my blood taken and then to my chemo infusion. They left the needle in the port after surgery, so that made starting the infusion easier. It takes four hours just for the infusion...so with all the prep (blood work and oncologist consultation) it's a full day of City of Hope.


Everyone that walks passed my room asks me and marvels at my quilt :) It's a source of positivity at a place where everyone is sick and sad.

1 comment: