The biopsy for the top lump came back negative, which means I still have the option of the lumpectomy. Though I am still seriously considering a mastectomy. But when I told my surgeon that I was still not sure which procedure I preferred, she said that scheduling the mastectomy with the plastic surgeon would be 2-3 weeks from now... and I want to get this cancer out NOW! She also needs to remove some of my lymph nodes to make sure it hasn't spread. Since this is a major concern, we are proceeding with the lumpectomy tomorrow!
She will make her incision along the inframammary crease so that I can get the mastectomy later and have the same incision (scar)! Excited to get this cancer out!!! Wish me luck, I go in at 9am.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Saturday, March 30, 2013
City of Hope
I am so happy with CITY OF HOPE Cancer Center. The biopsy they gave me on Thursday looks better than the first one I had at Cedars TWO WEEKS ago! There is less bruising and a smaller incision! :)
They also explained to me that there are options for mastectomy that I am a good candidate for that would leave me with my skin and nipple and fill the void of my breast tissue with an implant. It's called skin-sparing mastectomy. I have to do it BEFORE radiation, otherwise the skin will be too damaged. But the latest implants, called gummy bears, are by far the most realistic yet. Might not be a bad thing to never have saggy boobs.
Just difficult for me to make the decision as to whether I will have only my right (problem) breast done, or both. The insurance will pay for both to be done, since I am so young and my risk of having breast cancer again over the course of my lifetime is rather high. However I am set on having a family and breastfeeding is very important. Mainly, I want to be able to transfer my immunities to my future baby...and have the bonding hormones that breastfeeding releases. But, I also want to achieve the symmetry and protection that doing both breasts would give me. Perhaps I can do one now and one later...? Tough decisions.
They also explained to me that there are options for mastectomy that I am a good candidate for that would leave me with my skin and nipple and fill the void of my breast tissue with an implant. It's called skin-sparing mastectomy. I have to do it BEFORE radiation, otherwise the skin will be too damaged. But the latest implants, called gummy bears, are by far the most realistic yet. Might not be a bad thing to never have saggy boobs.
Just difficult for me to make the decision as to whether I will have only my right (problem) breast done, or both. The insurance will pay for both to be done, since I am so young and my risk of having breast cancer again over the course of my lifetime is rather high. However I am set on having a family and breastfeeding is very important. Mainly, I want to be able to transfer my immunities to my future baby...and have the bonding hormones that breastfeeding releases. But, I also want to achieve the symmetry and protection that doing both breasts would give me. Perhaps I can do one now and one later...? Tough decisions.
Thursday, March 28, 2013
Biopsy #2
Biopsy # 2 down! After my MRI the doctors determined that there were not one, but THREE lumps in my right breast. Two of them n the lower outter quadrant and one in the upper right! If all of them prove to be cancer, I will definitely need to remove the entire breast. As much as I HATED the biopsy I had last time, I decided to have another biopsy...just for the lump in the top right part. The one that showed up as being right next to the existing lump I asked to forego the biopsy and just have it removed while they are already in there.
In other words, if this biopsy comes back clear, I will have the option of lumpectomy still....if it comes back as cancer, we will have to do a mastectomy.
The doctors are hoping to have results tomorrow, which will determine whether I have the lumpectomy on Monday, with radiation...OR a mastectomy next week.
In other words, if this biopsy comes back clear, I will have the option of lumpectomy still....if it comes back as cancer, we will have to do a mastectomy.
The doctors are hoping to have results tomorrow, which will determine whether I have the lumpectomy on Monday, with radiation...OR a mastectomy next week.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Diagnosis
Hi friends! In case you haven’t already heard, I’ve got some bad news to share… Please DON’T freak out. Everything is going to be just fine.
I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a team of amazing people working on me and without giving out too much detail, I’m going to kick this cancer’s ass!
I think you can probably imagine the amount of questions everyone has for me... so please just know that we're totally on top of it and I would really appreciate it if you could keep your cool and not ask too many questions or suggestions. When you freak out, I freak out! And I don’t need another reason to use my medical marijuana card….lol.
My wifey has agreed to help me answer questions, so you can ask her if you’d like. I’m getting a lot of testing done this week, which will determine my treatment plan. So, I’ll try to keep you ABREAST of any updates.
Thank you to all of my friends who have already shown me so much love…and given me (side) hugs ♥
It’s not my foot or my brain-just a boob, which I can totally live without. Stay positive and just know that I'm doing well and being taken care of really well! :)
I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a team of amazing people working on me and without giving out too much detail, I’m going to kick this cancer’s ass!
I think you can probably imagine the amount of questions everyone has for me... so please just know that we're totally on top of it and I would really appreciate it if you could keep your cool and not ask too many questions or suggestions. When you freak out, I freak out! And I don’t need another reason to use my medical marijuana card….lol.
My wifey has agreed to help me answer questions, so you can ask her if you’d like. I’m getting a lot of testing done this week, which will determine my treatment plan. So, I’ll try to keep you ABREAST of any updates.
Thank you to all of my friends who have already shown me so much love…and given me (side) hugs ♥
It’s not my foot or my brain-just a boob, which I can totally live without. Stay positive and just know that I'm doing well and being taken care of really well! :)
Friday, February 1, 2013
Background
I added this post and back-dated it to give a little history about myself so that you could better understand where I'm coming from and who i was before breast cancer.
At 28, I was working as a full-time model and lingerie designer.
I had found a lump in my right breast in February 2013 and gone to get it checked out. The doctor told me that it felt "squishy" and was probably not dangerous, but that we would keep an eye on it for a few months and see if it went away on it's own. They told me not to feel it every day, because it would cause inflammation and make it seem like it was growing.
About a month later, they called me and asked how the lump was. I honestly couldn't tell if it was the same or had grown, since it was part of me and I didn't have a good way of measuring it. So, they suggested a biopsy procedure. I agreed and underwent the procedure in early March. The results came back March 15th and it took me a few days to process and make the decision to go public with my story.
My intent with being open and sharing my story is to raise awareness and hopefully help others in similar situations. There is a lot of sorting through emotions and educating yourself required. If you would like to ask additional questions or otherwise contact me, feel free to contact me through the blog. You are not alone.
At 28, I was working as a full-time model and lingerie designer.
I had found a lump in my right breast in February 2013 and gone to get it checked out. The doctor told me that it felt "squishy" and was probably not dangerous, but that we would keep an eye on it for a few months and see if it went away on it's own. They told me not to feel it every day, because it would cause inflammation and make it seem like it was growing.
About a month later, they called me and asked how the lump was. I honestly couldn't tell if it was the same or had grown, since it was part of me and I didn't have a good way of measuring it. So, they suggested a biopsy procedure. I agreed and underwent the procedure in early March. The results came back March 15th and it took me a few days to process and make the decision to go public with my story.
My intent with being open and sharing my story is to raise awareness and hopefully help others in similar situations. There is a lot of sorting through emotions and educating yourself required. If you would like to ask additional questions or otherwise contact me, feel free to contact me through the blog. You are not alone.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

